1) Excessive frills. Too much of a good thing goes bad. “Don’t paint your whole house pink and put ruffles on everything,” says designer Nicole Fuller. “It’s not sexy.”
2) Silk flower arrangements. “Silk flower arrangements say ‘I have given up and there is no hope for me’,” says designer Susan Ferrier.
3) Collage type photo frames. You know, that one that was filled with photos of you and your besties during your college years. “You’re setting your date up to ask you “who’s the pretty girl” and it’s not you,” warns designer Vance Burke.
4) Stuffed animals (especially on your bed). “Make room for human love,” says designer Jon Call of Mr. Call Designs. “We all have memories of our favourite stuffed animal but this is where they should stay… in our memories,” says designer Ryan White.
5) Inspirational quotes. It’s self-help at a glance. “Inspirational quotes of any kind, especially in needlepoint, read as a cry for help under every circumstance,” says Ferrier.
6) Cheap bedding. Quality bedding will make you feel like a queen! “A refined woman should have nice linens,” says designer MA Allen.
7) Cosmetics and personal products spilling out everywhere. Yes, they are a must-have, but “people don’t need to know how much work is to be as beautiful as you are,” sas Call. “A little discreteness goes a long way,” adds White. “Find a spot in the bathroom that is our of eye sight, out of mind.”
8) Doll collections from childhood. “Collectors appear to be trapped in a child phase,” says Burke. “[This] can be creepy and scare off men,” adds Allen.
9) Family photos by the bed. Not sexy.
10) An abundance of pictures of your pet. Yes, they’re probably cuter than your family and friends but a collage wall devoted to your four-legged friend is “never a good look,” says designer Nicole Fuller.
11) Cat trees/homes. “Ladies, I know cats can be very cute and cuddly but seeing a carpeted cat homw when you first walk in really doesn’t set the right tone,” says designer Ryan White. “Everyone fears the crazy, single cat lady,” adds Allen.
12) Sorority memorabilia. It has its day.
13) Too much mismatched furniture. “Too many different things get confusing,” says designer Nicole Fuller. “A few different pieces shows interest.”
The Fabulous Team